30 CME/CEU/CPD CREDITS
Course Code - 031
This comprehensive course is designed for sonographers and mammographers:
- preparing for the Registry examinations
- for sonographers and mammographers who wish to review current breast sonography and acquire educational credits or units.
THERE IS AN ATLAS FILLED WITH HIGH QUALITY BREAST IMAGES DEPICTING NORMAL ANATOMY, NUMEROUS BREAST PATHOLOGIES AND ARTIFACTS.
The course is totally self contained.
At the end of each module, the student completes an open book assignment online. Each assignment is returned with an explanatory answer key indicating the correct response. After finishing the course, each student has an opportunity to write an OPTIONAL closed book final examination written in the presence of an invigilator (exam supervisor). The exam simulates the Registry Breast Ultrasound exam.
There are two Optional Modules with questions and answers provided: (1) Patient Care and, (2) Physics for Mammographers. These self study modules provide the fundamentals to complete the BREAST ULTRASOUND course.
Patient Care Module Content
- Patient identification
- Cleaning of equipment
- Storage of gels
- Standard precautions
- Sterile technique
- Test results
Physics for Mammographers Module Content
- Generation of ultrasound
- Ultrasound wave characteristics
- Image resolution
- Ultrasound system components
- Ultrasound beam profiles
- How sound interacts with matter
- Image display and storage
- Pre and post processing
- Recording media
- Equipment quality control
- Use of tissue equivalent phantoms
- Safety and bioeffects
- Doppler ultrasound
- Cleaning and disinfecting equipment
View Course Modules
BREAST ULTRASOUND MODULE CONTENT
- Breast cancer facts
- Figures and risk factors
- Breast instrumentation and scanning technique including: system setup, transducers, grayscale, Doppler, patient positioning, scan planes, scanning technique, image annotation, image artifacts and, new technologies
- Breast anatomy including: gross anatomy of the breast, embryology, vascular anatomy, lymphatic system of the breast, fibrous planes, TDLU and the lactiferous ducts, lymph nodes, pregnancy induced changes to the breast, involutional changes to the breast and, the male breast
- Breast pathology including: benign versus malignant features, compressibility, vascularity, effects of masses on the ducts, lymphatic involvement, specific benign lesions, specific malignant lesions, congenital breast abnormalities, gynecomastia and, ultrasound and mammography BIRADS
- Invasive and other procedures including: localizations, core biopsy, FNA, mammotomy, ABBI, imaging breast implants, MRI appearances, ductography, sentinel node procedure, normal mammogram and, mammography versus ultrasound appearances
Over the years NINA ROMANOVA has been a valuable resource for Burwin's Breast Course. We thank Nina for her ongoing contribution.